INVITATION TO THE PODIUM- A KUKAH CENTRE TOWN HALL FORUM WITH GOVERNOR ADAMS OSHIOMHOLE
The Kukah Centre as part of her Fixing Nigeria Initiative invites the public to the PODIUM– a Town hall forum featuring the Executive Governor of Edo State
THEME: FROM ACTIVISM TO POLITICAL POWER: THE CHALLENGES OF DEMOCRATIC GOVERNANCE IN NIGERIA
Date: Wednesday, August 10, 2016
Time: 11 am
Venue: Auditorium, Merit House, 22 Aguiyi Ironsi, Street, Maitama, Abuja
Moderator: Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah (Founder, The Kukah Centre)
Chairman: Mr. Donald Duke, Former Executive Governor of Cross River State
- Mr. Segun Adeniyi– pre-eminent journalist and Political Commentator
- Prof. Jibrin Ibrahim– Political Scientist and Activist
- Dr. Idayat Hassan– Director, Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD)
- Comrade Issa Aremu– former Vice-President, Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC)
As a former president of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Comrade Oshiomhole was in the forefront of many battles with government officials and the organized private sector on issues relating to the welfare of workers. A little shy of eight years as the governor of Edo State, what insights can today’s activists eager to transform society draw from his foray into partisan politics?
Key questions at the forum include-
- How can civil society best participate in politics and governance?
- Should civil society activists make the jump from the streets to the political arena? If so, what do they need to succeed?
- How pervasive is the role of Money, Godfathers/Godmothers in Nigerian Politics and can one succeed without these?
- What is the transaction cost of getting into power and staying on the saddle?
- Do activists lose their integrity and idealism in the murky waters of politics? And much more.
The forum primarily strives to bridge the gap between the idealism of activism and the stark realities of governance and by so doing, hopefully, offer fresh insights on how civil society can more effectively impact public policy.
Admission is free!